Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sleeping Out for Jesus Post 2



The first full day of being homeless, was very interesting.

I was tired all day, not that much sleep the traffic keep me awake most of the night.

By mid-morning found myself getting very depressed, I thought the lack of sleep was causing the depression. However I realized that it was not just the lack of sleep, but the thinking about not having anyplace to go, feeling very exposed to everyone passing by. It took about an hour to get myself out of that slump. Then my thoughts turned to all those homeless people in the country, If I am getting depressed on my first day of a few days of homelessness. What is it like to be homeless for months or years? How deep and well rooted well depression be in a few months, never mind a few years.


I made it a point not to eat supper last night and not eat till lunch. I wanted to feel what it must be like to wake up and be hungry. Boy I was hungry when noon came, I could smell the food from the to eateries down the street. I was ready to walk down the street and pickup lunch. Then it came to me if I was truly homeless, I would have no money for food and would have to rely on the free food of a "food pantry". So lunch was a can of cold "chef boy arde" Macaroni with meat sauce from the churches food pantry and supper was crackers and Spam (cold)


The people passing by made the day a little shorter. For the most part lots of people are very friendly, smile, say hello, how's your day, and so on. Some look at me, with the "how dare you say anything to me look" or the "what the heck are you doing there look". Even the cars passing by will wave and smile, if i make eye contact.


I think I am starting to understand this "them and us" thinking. As cars pass by I am thinking of how good they have it and how little I have. It is very easy to forget that my car is parked 100 feet away. We take what we have for granted, until we do not have it any longer.


Getting ready to sack out for the night. It is a lot cooler tonight them last night, put no signs of rain, This is good!!


Blog you in the morning. You are in my prayers


Shalom


Pastor David A


"Have Fun, Take Chances, & Go Fast for Christ's Sake"




No comments: